- Trying to win an argument.
- Struggling to attain effect in an argument.
- Of or relating to contests that were originally participated in by the Ancient Greeks.
- A summons to arms, as on the approach of an enemy.
- Arming to answer in a night alarm. --Shak.
- Any sound or information intended to give notice of approaching danger; a warning sound to arouse attention; a warning of danger.
- Sound an alarm in my holy mountain. --Joel ii. 1.
- Thy palace fill with insults and alarms. --Pope.
- Sudden surprise with fear or terror excited by apprehension of danger; in the military use, commonly, sudden apprehension of being attacked by surprise.
- Alarm and resentment spread throughout the camp. --Macaulay.
- A mechanical contrivance for awaking persons from sleep, or rousing their attention; an alarum.
- To call to arms for defense; to give notice to (any one) of approaching danger; to rouse to vigilance and action; to put on the alert.
- To keep in excitement; to disturb.
- To surprise with apprehension of danger; to fill with anxiety in regard to threatening evil; to excite with sudden fear.
- The name of the first letter of the Greek alphabet (Î‘, Î±), followed by beta. In the Latin alphabet it is the predecessor to A.
- (context, science) The name of the symbol, symbols Î‘ and Î± used in science and mathematics, often interchangeable with the symbols when used as a prefix.
- : alpha particle ("Î±-particle")
- The highest scientific caste of people in the novel w:Brave New World, Brave New World by w:Aldous Huxley, Aldous Huxley.
- In finance, the amount by which a given asset or portfolio's return exceeds a "riskless" rate of return.
- Designates the first in an order of precedence.
- alpha male, male
- (star) Designates the brightest star in a constellation.
- Alpha Centauri, Alpha Centauri
- Regard for others, both natural and moral; devotion to the interests of others; brotherly kindness; -- opposed to egoism or selfishness.
- Regardful of others; beneficent; unselfish
- His helping the old lady with her shopping was deemed highly by everyone, especially since her home was a mile away.