verb (vanish, es)
- To become invisible or move out of view unnoticed.
- (Mathematics) To become equal to zero.
- The function f(x)=x^2 vanishes at x=0.
Etymology: Aphetic for obsolete evanish, Old French esvanir, esvaniss- (French évanouir), Vulgar Latin evanescere, from vanus, "empty".
- Dutch: verdwijnen (1)
- French: disparaí®tre(fr) (1)
- German: verschwinden (1,2)
- Italian: sparire, svanire (1)
- Spanish: desvanecerse, desaparecer (1)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for vanish for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.