- An advisement providing more up-to-date information than currently known.
- He gave me an on the situation in New York
- A change in information, a modification of existing or known data.
- I just made an to the Wikipedia article on gorillas
- An additional piece of information. An addition to existing information.
- I just made an to my blog about my trip to Rome
- A modification of something to a more recent, up-to-date version; (in software) a minor upgrade.
- Our database receives an every morning at 3 AM
- I have a couple of updates to install on your laptop
verb (updat, ing)
- Dutch: bijwerking
- French: mise í jour
- German: Aktualisierung
- Italian: aggiornamento
- Spanish: actualización
(trans-top, action of advising someone so that they are up to date)
- (transitive) To make (something) up to date.
- I need to my records to take account of the latest developments.
- (transitive) To advise (a person) so that they are up to date.
- Update me on what happened while I was away.
Etymology: up + date
- Dutch: bijwerken, op punt stellen
- French: mettre í jour
- German: aktualisieren
- Italian: aggiornare
- Spanish: actualizar
(trans-top, advise a person so that they are up to date)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for update for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.