- (US, singular) The suit, in a game of cards, that outranks all others.
- (UK, in plural) The suit, in a game of cards, that outranks all others.
- Diamonds were declared trumps.
- A playing card of that suit.
- He played an even higher .
- (figurative) Something that gives one an advantage, especially one held in reserve.
- Dutch: troef
- German: Trumpf
- French: atout
- To play a trump, or to take a trick with a trump; to ruff.
- To get the better of, or finesse, a competitor.
- To supersede
- In this election, it would seem issues of national security trumped economic issues.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for trump for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.