verb (tells, telling, told)
- A give away sign, especially one used in the game of poker.
- (context, transitive, or, ditransitive) To narrate.
- I want to a story.
- I want to you a story.
- (transitive) To pass information by speech.
- You should her that you love her.
- (transitive) To instruct or inform.
- Tell him to go away.
- Please me the time.
- (intransitive) To discern, notice, identify or distinguish.
- Can you whether those flowers are real or silk, from this distance?
- (intransitive) To have a marked effect
- The mace dealt a telling blow to his right shoulder.
- To count or enumerate (see teller)
- Dutch: vertellen, zeggen
- French: raconter, conter
- German: erzí¤hlen (1), sagen (2,3)
- Italian: dire, contare
- Spanish: decir, contar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tell for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.