- The commander-in-chief of ancient Assyria.
- 1611, And the king of Assyria sent and Rabsaris and Rabshakeh from Lachish to king Hezekiah with a great host against Jerusalem. " 2 Kings 18:17 (Authorised Version)
- 1611, In the year that Tartan came unto Ashdod, (when Sargon the king of Assyria sent him,) and fought against Ashdod, and took it " Isaiah 20:1 (Authorised Version)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Tartan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- A kind of woven woollen cloth with a distinctive pattern of coloured stripes intersecting at right angles, associated with Scottish Highlanders, different clans having their own distinctive patterns.
- The pattern associated with such material.
- An individual or a group wearing tartan; a Highlander or Scotsman in general.
- Trade name of a synthetic resin, used for surfacing tracks etc.
- French: tartan
- (transitive) To clothe in tartan.
- Having a pattern like a tartan.
- (jocular) Scottish.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for tartan for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.