proper noun (plural: Syriacs)
- An Aramaic language, part of the Semitic language group, specifically:
- The language of the kingdom of Osrhoene.
- The liturgical language of various churches with roots in the Middle East.
- A person who either speaks Syriac or is a member of the Syriac Orthodox Church, or both.
- Referring to the Syriac language, for example, Syriac alphabet, Syriac culture, Syriac poetry.
- From the Greek (syriakós), an adjective pertaning to (Syría), the Greek name for w:Aram (Biblical region), Aram, and probably based on the name Assyria.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Syriac for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.