- (obsolete spelling of, sward)
- Of a dark hue; moderately black; swarthy; tawny.
- 1400s: w:Thomas Occleve, Thomas Occleve, Hymns to the Virgin - Men schalle then sone se / Att mydday hytt shalle swarte be
- 1590: w:Edmund Spenser, Edmund Spenser, The Faerie Queene, Book 2 - A nation strange, with visage
- (RQ:Shakespeare John), III-i - Lame, foolish, crooked, , prodigious,
- 1836: w:Nathaniel Hawthorne, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Old Ticonderoga - The merry soldiers footing it with the savage maids
- (obsolete) Gloomy; malignant.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for swart for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.