- Something not expected.
- It was a to find out I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
- (italbrac, attributively) Unexpected.
- The attack was devastating.
- The feeling that something unexpected has happened.
- Imagine my on learning I owed twice as much as I thought I did.
verb (surpris, ing)
- Dutch: verrassing , verbazing
- French: inattendu , inattendue
- German: íberraschung
- Italian: sorpresa
- Spanish: sorpresa
- (transitive) To cause (someone) to feel surprise.
- It surprises me that I owe twice as much as I thought I did.
- (transitive) To do something to (a person) that they are not expecting, as a surprise.
- He doesn't know that I'm in the country - I thought I'd turn up at his house and surprise him.
Etymology: From French, surprise.
- Dutch: verrassen
- French: étonner
- German: í¼berraschen
- Italian: sorprendere
- Spanish: sorprender
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for surprise for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.