verb (suppos, ing)
- (transitive) To take for granted; to conclude, with less than absolute supporting data; to believe.
- Suppose that A implies B and B implies C. Then A implies C.
- (transitive) To theorize or hypothesize.
- I we all agree that this is the best solution.
Etymology: supposer; prefix sub- under + poser to place; - corresponding in meaning to supponere, suppositum, to put under, to substitute, falsify, counterfeit. See pose.
- Dutch: aannemen, vermoeden, veronderstellen
- French: supposer
- German: vermuten, annehmen
- Italian: supporre
- Spanish: suponer
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for suppose for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.