- Something that supports a structure such as a building.
- A person who supports, promotes, advocates or champions a cause or movement; an adherent.
Etymology: to support + -er
- (heraldry) An animal or figure that supports a shield in a coat of arms.
- A garter worn around the leg to support a sock or stocking
- 1957, w:J. D. Salinger, J. D. Salinger, "Zooey", in, 1961, w:Franny and Zooey, Franny and Zooey, 1991 LB Books edition, page 117,
- :From the radiator, where he was attaching supporters to his socks, Zooey glanced up at her.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for supporter for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.