- (grammar) In a clause: the word or word group (usually a noun phrase) that is dealt with. In active clauses with verbs denoting an action, the and the actor are usually the same.
- "In the sentence "The mouse is eaten by the cat in the kitchen.", "The mouse" is the , "the cat" being the agent."
- The main topic of a paper, work of art, discussion, etc.
- A particular area of study.
- Her favorite is physics.
- A citizen in a monarchy.
- I am a British .
- A person ruled over by another, especially a monarch or state authority
- Dutch: onderdaan , onderdane
- French: sujet(fr)m
- German: Untertan(de)m
- Spanish: síºbdito(es)m
- Italian: soggetto(it)m
- (followed by to) To cause (someone or something) to undergo a particular experience, especially one that is unpleasant or unwanted.
- Dutch: onderwerpen (aan)
- French: soumettre (í )
- German: unterwerfen (haben)
- Pertaining to a person or people who are ruled by another.
- The Roman Empire ruled many territories.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for subject for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.