- A person whom one does not know; a person who is neither a friend nor an acquaintance.
- An outsider or foreigner
- 1961, Robert Heinlein: "Stranger in a Strange Land"
- A newcomer.
Etymology: (term, estrange, , foreign, alien), from (term, extraneus, , foreign, external), from (term, extra, , outside of)
- Dutch: vreemde
- French: étranger , étrangère
- German: Fremder , Neuling
- Italian: straniero , straniera
- Spanish: (t, es, forastero, m), (t, es, extranjero, m)
- (comparative of, strange)
- Truth is stranger than fiction (italbrac, English proverb)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stranger for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.