- A postponement, especially of an execution or other punishment.
- The governor granted a of execution.
- A rope or wire supporting or stabilizing a platform, such as a bridge, a pole, such as a tentpole or a mast, or other structural element.
- The engineer insisted on using stays for the scaffolding.
- A piece of stiff material, such as plastic or whalebone, used to stiffen a piece of clothing.
- Where are the stays for my collar?
- A period of time spent in a place.
- I hope you enjoyed your in Hawaii.
- Dutch: verblijf
- French: séjour
- Italian: permanenza
- Spanish: estadía
- (intransitive) To remain in a particular place.
- We stayed in Hawaii for a week.
- I can only for an hour.
- (intransitive) To continue to have a particular quality.
- Wear gloves so your hands warm.
- (transitive) To postpone.
- The governor stayed the execution until the appeal could be heard.
- Dutch: uitstellen
- French: rester
- German: sich aufhalten, bleiben
- Italian: restare
- Spanish: quedar, parmanecer
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for stay for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.