- (countable) any athletic activity that uses physical skills, often competitive
- (countable) a person who exhibits either good or bad sportsmanship
- Jen may have won, but she was sure a poor ; she laughed at the loser.
- The loser was a good , and congratulated Jen on her performance.
- (countable) somebody who behaves or reacts in an admirable manner, a good sport
- You're such a ! You never get upset when we tease you.
- (countable) a toy; a plaything; an object of mockery.
- (uncountable) gaming for money as in racing, hunting, fishing
- (context, biology, botany, zoology, countable) a plant or an animal, or part of a plant or animal, which has some peculiarity not usually seen in the species; an abnormal variety or growth. The term encompasses both mutants and organisms with non-genetic developmental abnormalities such as birth defects.
- (slang) (countable) A sportsman; a gambler, one who consorts with less than reputable people, including prostitutes.
- (context, obsolete, uncountable) An amorous dalliance.
- Charlie and Lisa enjoyed a bit of after their hike.
- Dutch: sport(nl)m
- French: sport(fr)m
- German: Sportsmann , Sportsfrau
- Italian: sport(it)m
- Spanish: deporte(es)m
- suitable for use in athletic activities
Translations: Etymology: From desporte, from deportare
- Jen has a new pair of shoes, and a new sports bra.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sport for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.