- A second-year undergraduate student in a college or university, or a second-year student in a four-year secondary school or high school.
- She was very mature for a and had several friends who were juniors or even seniors.
- (context, horse-racing) A three year old horse.
- The filly had looked promising as a , but concerns over her health had prompted the owner to pull her from the season's early races.
- The second in a series, especially, the second of an artist's albums or the second of four years in a secondary or post-secondary school.
Etymology: From Greek sophumer, from the obsolete word sophom, meaning "sophism" or "dialectical" exercise, likely influenced by sophos + moros "wise fool".
- The band's album built upon the success of their debut release, catapulting them to megastardom.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sophomore for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.