noun (countable and uncountable)
- (countable) (mostly in botany) The wood from any conifer (or from Ginkgo), without regarding how soft this wood is: "SYP is a softwood, but it is harder than many hardwoods".
- (countable) (in more general use) As the preceding but limited to those that are commercial timbers.
- (countable) (forestry) The tree or tree species that yields the preceding: "This softwood has been planted extensively throughout Scotland."
- (uncountable) A joint term for the commercial timbers, without distinguishing which: "You should have used softwood for the frame of this shed, instead of overbuilding it like this."
- French: conifère
- German: Weichholz
- Spanish: madera blanda , madera tierna
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for softwood for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.