- A town in west London, close to Heathrow Airport
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Slough for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
noun (wikipedia, slough (wetland))
- A muddy or marshy area.
- 1883 "That comed - as you call it - of being arrant asses," retorted the doctor, "and not having sense enough to know honest air from poison, and the dry land from a vile, pestiferous . — w:Treasure Island, Treasure Island, w:Robert Louis Stevenson, Robert Louis Stevenson
- (italbrac, Eastern US) A type of swamp or shallow lake system, typically formed as or by the backwater of a larger waterway, similar to a bayou with trees.
- We paddled under a canopy of trees through the .
- (italbrac, Western US) A secondary channel of a river delta, usually flushed by the tide.
- The w:Sacramento River Delta, Sacramento River Delta contains dozens of sloughs that are often used for water-skiing and fishing.
- A state of depression.
- John is in a .
- (transitive) To shed (skin).
- A week after he was burned, a layer of skin on his arm sloughed off.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for slough for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.