Translations: verb (sits, sitting, sat, sat or rarely sitten)
- (context, rare, Buddhism) an event (usually one full day or more) where the primary goal is to in meditation.
- (context, intransitive, of a person) To be in a position in which the upper body is upright and the legs (especially the upper legs) are supported by some object.
- After a long day of walking, it was good just to and relax.
- (context, intransitive, of a person) To move oneself into such a position.
- I asked him to sit.
- (context, intransitive, of an object) To occupy a given position permanently.
- The temple has sat atop that hill for centuries.
- To be a member of a deliberative body.
- I currently on a standards committee.
- (context, intransitive, of an agreement or arrangement) To be accepted.
- How will this new contract with the workers?
- I don"t think it will well.
- French: asseoir(fr)alt=s"asseoir
- Italian: sedersi(it)
- Spanish: encajar(es)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sit for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.