- The lack of any sound. (i, When the motor stopped, the was almost deafening.)
- Form of meditative worship practiced by the Society of Friends (Quakers). "Meeting for worship." (i, During a message came to me that there was that of God in every person.)
- The action of refraining from speaking.
- "You have the right to " said the police officer.
verb (silenc, ing)
- Dutch: stilte(nl)
- French: silence :fr:silence, ^
- German: Schweigen :de:Schweigen, ^ , Stille
- Italian: silenzio(it)m
- Spanish: silencio :es:silencio, ^
Translations: Etymology: From French, silence.
- To make something silent
- To suppress criticism etc
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for silence for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.