- uncomfortable, Uncomfortable or painful feeling due to recognition or consciousness of impropriety, dishonor or other wrong in the opinion of the person experiencing the feeling. It is caused by awareness of exposure of circumstances of unworthy, unworthiness or of improper or indecent conduct.
- When I realized that I had hurt my friend, I felt deep .
- The teenager couldn"t bear the of introducing his parents.
- Something to regret.
- It was a not to see the show after driving all that way.
- "And what you do to me is a ." - Evelyn "Champagne" King, in the song Shame.
- (archaic) That which is shameful and private, especially on the personal body.
- Cover your !
verb (sham, ing)
- Dutch: schande
- French: honte(fr)f
- German: Schande(de)f
- Italian: vergogna(it)f
- Spanish: vergí¼enza(es)f
- To cause to feel shame.
- I was shamed by the teacher's public disapproval.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for shame for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.