- Scientific Advisory Panel
- statutory, Statutory adoption, Adoption pay, Pay - payments made by an employer to an employee who is absent from work after the adoption of a child.
- (South Africa) South African Police.
- (South Africa, obsolete) South Africa Party.
- Systemanalyse und Programmentwicklung, one of the worlds largest software companies.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for SAP for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
- (uncountable) The juice of plants of any kind, especially the ascending and descending juices or circulating fluid essential to nutrition.
- (uncountable) The sapwood, or alburnum, of a tree.
- (context, slang, countable) A simpleton; a saphead; a milksop; a naive person.
- (countable) A leather-covered hand weapon; a blackjack.
verb (sap, p, ing)
- Dutch: (t, nl, slappeling, m), (t, nl, imbeciel, m), (t, nl, idioot, m), simpele(nl)m
- French: sève
- German: Mantelholz , Splint
- Italian: manganello
(trans-top, Translations to be checked)
- Spanish: savia
(trans-top, sapwood of a tree)
- (transitive) To subvert by digging or wear away, wearing away; to mine; to undermine; to destroy the foundation of.
- (rfdate) Nor safe their dwellings were, for sapped by floods, / Their houses fell upon their household gods. " w:John Dryden, John Dryden
- (context, transitive, military) To pierce with saps.
- To make unstable or infirm; to unsettle; to weaken.
- (rfdate) Ring out the grief that saps the mind. " w:Alfred Tennyson, Alfred Tennyson
- (transitive) To gradually weaken.
- to one"s conscience
- (intransitive) To proceed by mining, or by secretly undermining; to execute saps " (rfdate, provide real quote)W. P. Craighill
- (rfdate) Both assaults carried on by sapping. " The Tatler
- Dutch: (t, nl, ondergraven)
- Italian: indebolire, fiaccare, logorare
(trans-top, gradually weaken)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for sap for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.