- A man of modern myth who brings presents to people (especially children) at Christmas time.
Etymology: From the folk tale of Sinterklaas based on the historical figure Saint Nicholas, a bishop from Myra in Asia Minor.
- Dutch: Kerstman (Christmas), Sinterklaas (5-6 December), Sint-Nicolaas (5-6 December)
- French: Saint Nicolas (6 December), Père Noí«l (Christmas)
- Italian: Babbo Natale
- German: Sankt Nikolaus , Weihnachtsmann , Christkind (Austria), Samichlaus (Switzerland)
- Spanish: Papa Noel (Spain), Viejito Pascuero (Chile)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Santa Claus for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.