- (military) an outwardly projecting part of a fortification, trench system, or line of defense
- French: saillant, saillie
- prominent, worthy of note; pertinent or relevant
- The article is not exhaustive, but it covers the points pretty well.
- (heraldry): Of an animal, usually a quadruped, depicted in a leaping posture.
Etymology: Latin salire (to leap)
- French: saillant
(trans-top, in an heraldic posture)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for salient for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.