- The unmowed part of a golf course.
- A crude person.
- (cricket) A scuffed and roughened area of the pitch, where the bowler's feet fall, used as a target by spin bowlers because of its unpredictable bounce.
- To create in an approximate form.
adjective (rough, er)
- Rough in the shape first, then polish the details.
- To physically assault someone in retribution for something specific.
- The gangsters roughed him up a little.
- Having a texture that has much friction. Not smooth; uneven.
- 2005, w:Plato, Plato, Sophist. Translation by Lesley Brown. w:Stephanus pagination, 229e.
- : Teaching that's done by talking seems to have one path and another part which is smoother.
- approximate, Approximate.
- A rough estimate.
- turbulent, Turbulent.
- The sea was .
- difficult, Difficult; trying.
- Being a teenager these days can be .
- crude, Crude; unrefined
- His manners are a bit , but he means well.
- violent, Violent; not careful or subtle
- This box has been through some handling.
- Dutch: ruw, ruig
- French: rugueux
- German: rauh, grob
- Italian: approssimato (2), mosso (3), difficile (4), rude (5)
- Spanish: aspero
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rough for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.