- Someone or something who is competing against another for the same objective; a competitor.
Translations: verb (rivals, rivalling, rivalled)
- My biggest in the 400m is probably Nicola.
- Someone or something with similar claims of quality or distinction as another.
- As a social historian, he has no .
Etymology: From Latin rivalis, literally "person using the same stream as another", from rivus "stream".
- (transitive) To oppose or compete with.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rival for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.