- The opposite of front.
- The opposite of forward.
- The gear setting of an automobile that makes it travel backwards.
- The tails side of a coin, or the side of a medal or badge that is opposite the obverse.
verb (revers, ing)
- French: marche arrière
- Italian: retromarcia
- (intransitive) To turn around, go in the opposite direction.
- French: faire marche arrière
- Having the order of its constituents moved backwards in time or space.
- We ate the meal in order with the dessert first and ending with the starter.
- The mirror showed us a view of the scene.
- Causing movement in the opposite direction.
- He selected gear.
Etymology: From revers, from reversus ((past participle of, revertere))
- French: inverse, revers, l'envers, le verso
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for reverse for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.