- The act of pulling back or withdrawing, as from something dangerous, or unpleasant.
- The act of reversing direction and receding from a forward position.
- A peaceful, quiet place affording privacy, or security.
- A period of retirement, seclusion, or solitude.
- A period of meditation, prayer or study
- Withdrawal by military force from a dangerous position or from enemy attack.
- A signal for a military withdrawal.
- A bugle call or drumbeat signaling the lowering of the flag at sunset, as on a military base.
- A military ceremony to lower the flag.
- To withdraw military forces.
Etymology: From Middle English retret, from Old French retrait or retret (to draw back), from Latin retrahere (retract).
- Dutch: zich terugtrekken
- French: se
- French, se retirer
- German: sich zurí¼ckziehen
- Italian: ritirarsi
- Spanish: retirarse
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for retreat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.