noun (wikipedia, Republics of Russia)
- A state where sovereignty rests with the people or their representatives, rather than with a monarch or emperor; a country with no monarchy.
- The U.S.A. is a republic; Great Britain is technically a monarchy.
- One of the subdivisions constituting Russia. See oblast.
- The Republic of Udmurtia is west of the Permian Oblast.
Etymology: From res publica, literally "the public thing".
- Dutch: (t, nl, republiek, f)
- French: république(fr)f
- German: Republik(de)f
- Italian: repubblica(it)f
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for republic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.