- State of remaining; stay.
- That which is left; relic; remainder; -- chiefly in the plural.
- (Plural only) remains: That which is left of a human being after the life is gone; relics; a dead body.
- The posthumous works or productions, especially literary works of one who is dead.
- To stay behind while others withdraw; to be left after others have been removed or destroyed; to be left after a number or quantity has been subtracted or cut off; to be left as not included or comprised.
- To continue unchanged in place, form, or condition, or undiminished in quantity; to abide; to stay; to endure; to last.
- To await; to be left to.
Etymology: From remain, stem of remanoir, from remanere.
- Dutch: blijven
- French: demeurer, rester
- German: bleiben
- Italian: rimanere
- Spanish: permanecer
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for remain for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.