- An overthrow of a government that is considered an illegitimate regime by external force (especially military might), and its replacement with a new government according to the concept of political legitimacy promoted by that force.
- A war promoting such a change.
Etymology: Coined by U.S. President w:Bill Clinton, Bill Clinton and popularized by his Presidential successor w:George W. Bush, George W. Bush in reference to the regime of w:Saddam Hussein, Saddam Hussein.
- Dutch: regime verandering
- French: changement de régime
- German: Regimeí¤nderung
- Italian: cambiamento di regime
- Spanish: cambio del régimen
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for regime change for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.