Translations: verb (reboots, rebooting, rebooted)
- (computing) An instance of rebooting.
- (context, Narratology) The rewriting of a series storyline that discards all previous continuity.
- (computing) To cause a computer to execute its boot process, effectively resetting the computer and causing the operating system to reload, especially after a system or power failure
- (narratology) To discard all previous continuity in a series and restart the series.
- (video games) To restart a (computer or video game) from the beginning.
Etymology: re- + boot
- Dutch: herstarten, heropstarten
- French: redémarrer, réinitialiser, relancer
- German: neu laden
- Italian: reiniziare
- Spanish: reiniciar
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for reboot for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.