noun (plural: rainbows)
- Multicoloured arch in the sky produced by refraction of light within droplets of rain in the air.
- Any prismatic refraction of light showing a spectrum of colours.
- An assortment; a varied multitude. Used with of.
- a of possibilities
- (baseball) A curveball, particularly a slow curveball
- (context, poker slang) In Texas hold 'em or Omaha hold 'em, a flop that contains three different suits
adjective (no (compar) or (superl))
- Dutch: regenboog
- French: arc-en-ciel
- German: Regenbogen
- Italian: arcobaleno , iride
- Spanish: arco iris
- Having, or shining with, the colors of the rainbow: iridescent.
- Special, enigmatic.
- (poker) Having multiple suits
- Dutch: regenboogkleurig, iriserend
- French: iridescent , iridescente
- German: irisierend (iridescent), schillernd or regenbogenlich (having the colors of the rainbow), bunt (multicolor)
Etymology: From Old English regnboga, reÄnboga, from Old High German reganbogo, from OHG regan, rain, + biogo, bow.
- Interlingua: iridescente
- Spanish: irisado , irisada , iridiscente m & f
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for rainbow for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.