- Anything that is difficult to understand or make sense of.
- Where he went after he left the house is a puzzle.
- A game for one person that is more or less difficult to work out or complete.
- A crossword puzzle.
- A jigsaw puzzle.
- A riddle.
verb (puzzl, ing)
- Dutch: raadsel
- French: devinette
- German: Rí¤tsel
- Italian: indovinello
- Spanish: enigma
- (transitive) To perplex (someone).
Etymology: Origin uncertain. The verb seems to predate the noun, and may be a diminutive form of pose.
- French: rendre perplexe
- Italian: rendere perplesso
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for puzzle for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.