- An object to be reached; a target; an aim; a goal.
- A result that is desired; an intention.
- The act of intending to do something; resolution; determination.
- The subject of discourse; the point at issue.
- The reason for which something is done, or the reason it is done in a particular way.
verb (purpos, ing)
- Dutch: reden
- French: sujet
- German: Zweck
- Italian: argomento , soggetto
(trans-top, reason for doing something)
- Spanish: propósito
to be checked
- (transitive) Have set as one's purpose; resolve to accomplish; intend; plan.
- (transitive) (passive) designed, Designed for some purpose.
- Dutch: van plan zijn
(trans-top, passive: designed for some purpose)
- (noun) From Middle English purpos, from Old French purposer (to propose), from Latin prÅ- (forth) + poser (to put).
- (verb) From Middle English purposen, from Old French purposer (to propose).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for purpose for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.