- the state or system of social gender seclusion
- a screen used to conceal and divide women from men and strangers in Hindu or Muslim traditions
- a striped cotton cloth which is used to make curtains
Etymology: From (Hind.) / (Urd.) ààààà / (ur-Arab, ÙÛ) parda < (Pers.) (fa-Arab, ÙÙ) parde "curtain".
- (UK politics) the time between the announcement and holding of an election, during which any governmental activities that may be construed as potentially benefiting or promoting a specific political party or prospective candidate are halted or suspended
- (UK politics) the period after plans have been prepared but before the Chancellor of the Exchequer's annual budget is announced, when he refrains from discussing any matters which have relevance to the forthcoming budget
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for purdah for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.