- A person who performs sexual activity for payment
- A person who is perceived as engaging in sexual activity with many people.
- A person who does, or offers to do, an activity for money, despite personal dislike or dishonour
- Dutch: prostituee , hoer
- French: prostitué , prostituée , fille des rues , fille de joie
- German: Prostituierte and , Hure , Dirne
- Italian: prostituta :it:prostituta, ^
verb (prostitut, ing)
- Japanese: å£²æ˜¥å©¦ (baishunfu)
- Spanish: prostituta :es:prostituta, ^
- (context, transitive, usually reflexively) To perform sexual activity for money
- (transitive) To make another person, or organisation, prostitute themselves.
- From Latin prostitutum, past participle of prostituere, from prefix pro-, "for" or "before", + statuere (turns into -stituere with prefixes appended), "to set up or erect".
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prostitute for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.