- the act of prescribing a rule, law, etc.
- "Jurisdiction to prescribe" is a state's authority to make its laws applicable to certain persons or activities. -- Richard G. Alexander, Iran and Libya Sanctions Act of 1996: Congress exceeds its jurisdiction to prescribe law. Washington and Lee Law Review, 1997.
- a written order, as by a physician, for the administration of a medicine or other intervention
- The surgeon wrote a for a pain killer and physical therapy.
- the medicine or intervention so prescribed
- The pharmacist gave her a bottle containing her .
- the formal description of the lens geometry needed for spectacles, etc.
- The optician followed the optometrist's for her new eyeglasses.
- "Early to bed and early to rise" is a for a healthy lifestyle.
- Dutch: voorschrift , recept
- French: ordonnance
- German: Rezept
- Italian: ricetta
- Spanish: receta
- (of a drug, etc.) only available with a physician's written prescription
- Many powerful pain killers are drugs in the U.S.
- Dutch: recept
- French: í
- French, prescription
- Spanish: recetado, recetario
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for prescription for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.