- A plant tuber, Solanum tuberosum, eaten as a starchy vegetable, particularly in the Americas and Europe.
Etymology: From Taino batata, meaning sweet potato, via Spanish patata. Not from a hypothetical Nahuatl word
- Dutch: aardappel , pieper , patat
- French: pomme de terre , patate
- German: Kartoffel , Erdapfel (Southern Germany, Switzerland, Austria)
- Italian: patata
- Spanish: papa (italbrac, Latin America, Southern Spain and Canary Islands), patata (italbrac, Mexico and Spain standard usage)
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for potato for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.