- A little mass of lead, or the like, attached to a line, and used by builders, etc., to indicate a vertical direction; a plummet; a plumb bob (UK); a plumb line (US).
- A weight on the end of a long line, used by sailors to determine the depth of water.
- To determine the depth of water with a plumb; to sound.
- To use a plumb bob to test for vertical alignment.
- To make something vertical or perpendicular accurately.
- (dated) To seal something with lead.
- (intransitive): To work as a plumber.
- truly vertical
- (cricket) Describing an LBW where the batsman is hit on the pads directly in front on his wicket and should be given out.
- In a vertical direction.
- (informal) squarely or directly
- It hit him in the middle of his face.
- plombe, from plumba (plural of plumbum).
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for plumb for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.