noun (plural: piranhas)
- A kind of dangerous fish; may be used in a figurative sense.
- A carnivorous freshwater fish living in South American rivers and belonging to the families of Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus.
Etymology: First attested w:1869, 1869. Up to now there exist at least three versions on where the name piranha comes from:
- Dutch: piranha
- Dutch, piranha
- French: piranha
- German: Piranha
- Spanish: piraí±a
- from a hybrid language composed of Tupi-Guarani languages; it may be a compound word made of the components pirí, fish + sanha or ranha, tooth.
- from Tupi pirí, fish + ínha, cut
- from Portuguese piranhaPortuguese, piranha, from Tupi pira nya, variant of pira'ya, literally scissors fish.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for piranha for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.