- A plant of the family Piperaceae.
- (uncountable) A spice prepared from the fermented, dried, unripe red berries of this plant.
- A fruit of the capsicum: red, green, yellow or white, hollow and containing seeds, and in very spicy and mild varieties.
- (baseball) A game used by baseball players to warm up where fielders standing close to a batter rapidly return the batted ball to be hit again
- Some ballparks have signs saying "No games".
- French: (spicy) piment , (mild) poivron
- Dutch: (spicy) chilipeper
- German: (spicy) Chili
- Italian: (spicy) peperoncino , (mild) peperone
- Spanish: (spicy) pimiento
- (transitive) To add pepper to.
- (transitive) To strike with something made up of small particles.
- (transitive) To be covered with lots of (something made up of small things).
- After the hailstorm, the beach was peppered with holes.
- (transitive) To add (something) at frequent intervals.
- He liked to his conversation with long words.
Etymology: Old English piper
- French: poivrer, assaisonner de poivre
- Italian: pepare, condire con pepe
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pepper for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.