- Like a pedant, overly concerned with formal rules and trivial points of learning.
- Winston Churchill, (On being informed that one should not end a sentence with a preposition.)
- :That is the sort of arrant pedantry up with which I will not put.
- Being showy of one"s knowledge, often in a boring manner.
- Often used to describe a person who emphasizes his/her knowledge through the use of vocabulary; ostentatious in one"s learning.
- Being finicky or picky with language.
- French: pédant , pédante
- German: pedantisch
- Spanish: cursi, manií¡tico, pedante, puntilloso
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pedantic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.