- A plant, member of the Legume (Fabaceae) family.
- The edible seed of some of these plants.
- (baseball) A ball travelling at high velocity
Etymology: (back-form, pease, nodot=5), originally an uncountable noun meaning "peas" that was construed as a plural.
- French: pois , petit pois
- Italian: pisello
- Dutch: erwt
- German: Erbse
- Spanish: (italbrac, raw pea) alverja (italbrac, Peru), arveja (italbrac, Latin America, Spain's Canary Islands), chícharo (italbrac, Cuba, Mexico, Spain's Costa del Sol), guisante (italbrac, Spain standard usage, formal in other countries), pésol (italbrac, Southeastern Spain), présol (italbrac, Southeastern Spain) ; (italbrac, tender pea) petit pois (italbrac, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Venezuela - pronounced 'petipuí¡')
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pea for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.