- Arousing pity, sympathy, or compassion.
- The old man"s pleas for forgiveness stirred the young man"s heart.
- Arousing scornful pity or contempt, often due to miserable inadequacy.
- "You can't even run two miles? That"s ."
- "You're almost 26 years old and you still can't hold a real job? That's ."
Etymology: From Latinized patheticus, from Ancient Greek (italbrac, pathetikos) "subject to feeling, capable of feeling, impassioned", from (italbrac, pathetos) "one who has suffered, subject to suffering", from (italbrac, pathein) "to receive an impression from without, to suffer".
- French: pathétique
- German: erbí¤rmlich
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pathetic for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.