Translations: proper noun
- A piece of cloth, or other suitable material, sewed or otherwise fixed upon a garment to repair or strengthen it, esp. upon an old garment to cover a hole.
- A small piece of anything used to repair a breach; as, a patch on a kettle, a roof, etc.
- A small piece of black silk stuck on the face, or neck, to hide a defect, or to heighten beauty.
- A piece of greased cloth or leather used as wrapping for a rifle ball, to make it fit the bore.
- A small area, a small piece of ground; a tract; a plot; as, scattered patches of trees or growing corn.
- A short period of time, especially one which causes trouble.
- (figuratively) A fit.
- A block on the muzzle of a gun, to do away with the effect of dispart, in sighting.
- (archaic) A paltry fellow; a rogue; a ninny; a fool.
- (computing) A file describing changes made to a computer file or files, usually changes made to a computer program that fix a programming bug. A patch file, a file used for input to a patch program.
- An adhesive piece of material, impregnated with a drug, which is worn on the skin; the drug being slowly absorbed over a period of time.
- A small piece of material that is manually passed through a gun barrel to clean it.
verb (patches, patching, patched)
- (computing) The program that updates old versions of files, based on a record of differences with the newer versions.
- To mend by sewing on a piece or pieces of cloth, leather, or the like; as, to patch a coat.
- To mend with pieces; to repair with pieces fastened on.
- To repair clumsily; as, to patch the roof of a house.
- To adorn, as the face, with a patch or patches.
- To make of pieces or patches like a quilt.
- To repair as with patches.
- To arrange in a hasty or clumsy manner; " generally with up; as, to patch up a truce.
- (computing) To make the changes a patch describes; to apply a patch to the files in question. Hence:
- To fix or improve a computer program without a complete upgrade.
- To make a quick and possibly temporary change to a program.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for patch for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.