proper noun (plural Pats)
- (given name, female), short for Patricia
- (given name, male), short for Patrick
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for Pat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.
Translations: verb (pat, t, ed)
- The sound of a light slap or tap with a soft flat object, especially of a footstep
- A light tap or slap, especially with the hands
- A flattish lump of soft matter, especially butter or dung.
- To (gently) tap the flat of one's hand on a person or thing.
- To show affection, he decided he would the boy on the head.
- To hit lightly and repeatedly with the flat of the hand to make smooth or flat
- I patted the cookie dough into shape.
- To gently rain.
- opportunely, in a timely or suitable way
- 1600: Now might I do it " William Shakespeare, Hamlet III.iii
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for pat for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.