- An elementary sound which is uttered through the nose, or through both the nose and the mouth simultaneously.
- (medicine) (archaic) A medicine that operates through the nose; an errhine.
- (phonetics) A nasal vowel or consonant.
- (armour) Part of a helmet projecting to protect the nose; a nose guard.
- 1909, Charles Henry Ashdown, European Arms & Armor, page 78,
- :The continued in use until about 1140, when it was generally discarded, but isolated examples may be found in every succeeding century down to the seventeenth.
- (anatomy) One of the nasal bones.
- (zoology) A plate, or scale, on the nose of a fish, etc.
- (anatomy) Of or pertaining to the nose.
- (phonetics) Having a quality imparted by means of the nose; and specifically, made by lowering the soft palate, in some cases with closure of the oral passage, the voice thus issuing (wholly or partially) through the nose, as in the consonants m, n, ng; characterized by resonance in the nasal passage; as, a nasal vowel; a nasal utterance.
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for nasal for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.