- A mixture of water and soil.
- A plaster-like mixture used to texture or smooth drywall.
- (construction industry slang) Wet concrete as it is being mixed, delivered, and poured.
Etymology: Unattested in Old English; probably cognate with (or perhaps directly borrowed from) Middle Dutch modde, Middle Low German modde, mudde (Low German Mudd).
- Dutch: modder(nl)m
- French: fange(fr, boue, f, t+, fr)f
- German: Kot(de, Schlamm, m, t+, de)m
- Italian: fango(it)m
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for mud for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.