- the state of being just or fair
- the ideal of fairness, esp. with regard to the punishment of wrongdoing (justice was served)
- punishment of a person who wronged one (to demand justice)
- (also attrib.) the civil power dealing with law (Ministry of Justice; the justice system)
- a judge of certain courts; also as a title (Chief Justice; puisne justice; Mr. Justice Krever)
Etymology: From French, justice, from iustitia, from iustus "just"
- German: Gerechtigkeit(de)f
- Italian: giustizia(it)f
Supplemental Details:Sponsor an extended definition for justice for as little as $10 per month. Click here to contact us.